I usually do this project when my family encounters a milestone event. This means a religious ceremony, major birthday, graduation, etc… For this project, I created a template that can be printed on an inkjet or laser printer. Usually I create a design for both sides of the bar. Using color coordinating aluminum foil to wrap the existing bar leaving the original wrapper in place. This is one of favorite crafts to do since I am a bit of a computer geek. Since this is my very first post, I have attached a pdf and word file as template for your use. Hershey Wrappers Hershey Wrappers PDF
Supplies (To follow the links, but not leave the web page, highlight the link and right click and select “Open link in new Tab.”)
- Box of bars Milk Chocolate with Almonds Milk Chocolate Only
- Foil Candy Wrappers. In every instance, I decided I wanted to do a color match to my wrapper. So I got a foil wrapper to go over the one the bar already has. This link is for blue wrappers, however; they have many colors to choose from. Silver Gold Sage Green Emerald Green Light Blue Dark Blue Red Lavender Purple Fuschia Pink
- Scor Tape 1/8″ 1 Pack 1/8″ 2 Pack 1/4″ 1 Pack 1/2″ 1 Pack Multi-Pack 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 – 1 of each
- White, Pearl or Silver paper 8 1/2 x 11. White Pearl Silver
- Scissor sharpener, This Fiskars gadget has saved all my scissors from being dull, it is optional but works so well. I can never do without it.
- Access to Laser or Ink jet printer.
- If I choose to foil the labels, Decofoil.
- Images or Logos to add to labels
Detailed steps below, video to follow shortly.
- Get some sheets of paper – ok to re-use some that have printing on one side, these will be for your test runs.
- If you have not bought the boxes of hersheys bars yet, go to your local store and get a single bar of the one you prefer.
- Open the word file, the template is already set up and has text you can easily customize and color to fit your needs. There are two version in the template, if you prefer to use one over the other, feel free to go ahead and delete the template for the bar you do not want.
NOTE: The fonts I used are standard on word as of 2016; however, you may not find them on your computer if it is older. In that case, if you don’t have it, you have the option to change it with one you do have on your system, or look for it on the web. I found Great Vibes for my other older computer for free when I looked. Caution: Make sure you have malware and your computer has anti-virus software like McAfee, Norton, etc… installed and up-to-date to protect it.
- While editing the file, do not delete any existing graphics, they may help you with placing the new graphics you want to add. Once you have placed the new graphic in the spot you want, delete the old one and you should be good to go.
- Once you have the wrapper looking the way you want, go ahead and print the file on your laser or inkjet printer.
- Grab the candy bar, make sure that it is wrapped in the foil color. Before I wrap the bar, I use my scor tape and tape down the flaps on the side.
NOTE: Make sure to press down hard or scratch down on the scor tape to ensure adhesion to the flaps. This is also important when placing the wrapper on the bar.
- I put the wrapper down non color side up so it looks like a diamond.
- I place the bar in the center
- Using my scor tape, put tape on the one edge on the left.
- I proceed to the right and also add scor tape to one edge on the right.
- I pull the release paper from the scor tape on the left and gently lift the color wrapper and press down onto the bar.
- I do the same step again on the right.
- Once I see that the sides of the wrapper, I lift the bottom of the wrapper and pull it toward the top. You can add scor tape here but I never do and it works just fine.
- On the top, I look at the wrapper and fold the top of it to create a color triangle at the top.
- Near the edge of the fold, I add one more piece of scor tape. Then pull the release paper and fold the top of the wrapper down.
- Grab you scissor and print out, cut the wrapper you just printed.
- Wrap it around the bar to see how it looks. The template is set up that if someone flips the bar from right to left the next side will have wording that is not upside down.
- If you love how the wrapper looks, proceed to group the text boxes, graphics and the label. If you only have one label on the page, you may be able to successfully print two, by copying the first label. If the entire label is grouped it is really easy to move with your arrow keys when you paste it.
If you have any trouble, please feel free to comment on this post. I will be happy to respond and assist if I can.