Christmas card gate-fold card
I created this card to use for Christmas this year. I had most of the items I needed in my stash and chose to go with a larger sized card than usual to leave room for a sentiment and message.
White cardstock (could be tone on tone patterned or background embossed with clear embossing powder)
Ice Blue cardstock
White 1 1/2” ribbon
Adhesive or glue runner
Merry Christmas word die (Penny Black)
Snow flake dies
Background snowflake die
Scor pal or Scor Buddy
Die-cutting machine – Sizzix, etc…
Fabric cutting scissors
Finished card is 6” by 6” in a 6 1/4” by 6 1/4” envelope.
1. Cut one piece of ice blue card stock -5 1/2” by 5 1/2”.
2. Cut one piece of ice blue cardstock – top folding 10” tall by 5” wide.
3. Cut one piece of vellum 7″ by 5″.
4. Die-cut the background snowflake die using silver glitter cardstock.
5. Using your scoring board, score your silver die cut piece (in half) at 2 1/2”. Both sides will be equal.
6. Scor your vellum piece at 1″ and at 6″. That will leave a scored area to the right and the left of a 5″ square of 1″.
7. Scor your top folding piece of ice blue cardstock at 5”.
8. Place the 6” by 6” white cardstock
9. Grab the smaller piece of ice blue cardstock and add adhesive or glue to the back.
10. Center the blue cardstock on top of the white cardstock and press down when it is in the correct position.
11. Fold the scored ice blue cardstock.
12. Fold the scored vellum pieces.
13. The section that has 1”, using a scissor, cut a triangle sized piece at both top and bottom. The angle of the cut should be around 45 degrees. Feel free to estimate with your eyes. What remains is a rectangle piece that is folded at 2 1/2” and a trapezoid piece that is wide at the fold and narrows at the end edge.
14. Before you add adhesive, position the vellum pieces so they cover the blue cardstock and meet in the middle. This could mean you may have to use your cutter again to shave a bit on one side so you piece is 4.8” or 4.9” wide.
15. Add adhesive to the right piece of blue cardstock and attach it to the back of the bottom of your top folding blue card.
16. Repeat this step with the left piece.
17. Cut the snowflake background die cut in half.
18. Once cut, rotate the die cut pieces so that the borders meet in the middle.
19. Position the pieces on the already glued vellum, lift and add adhesive.
20. Glue the die cut pieces down onto the vellum.
21. Pull 15” of white ribbon from the spoil and cut.
22. Center the ribbon as you are gluing it to the back of the top-folding ice blue card. Leave enough ribbon to make a bow for the front of the card.
23. Once the ribbon is glued down. Position the top-folding gate fold card on top of the other two cards, center, as needed.
24. Flip the card over, add adhesive and then re-position the card and glue down.
25. Once the completed card is glued together, make the bow and pink the ends of the ribbon.